What is Hospital Cover?
Have any of your family members ever been hospitalized?
Apart from the expenses related to the actual treatment of the patient, have you noticed any other expenses that come up? If the patient had a Medical Aid, the cost of treatment would have been paid for by the insurer. But, what about the other expenses, those unnoticed, miscellaneous expenses? The admitted patient needs a person accompanying him. What about the loss of income of the accompanying person? What about the food expenses of the patient and the accompanying person? The Medical Aid insurance doesn’t cover all these expenses.
Hospital Cover is the solution for meeting such expenses. Hospital Cover pays a daily cash benefit, up to the limit specified in the plan selected. This is irrespective of the actual expenses spent at the hospital. Your Medical Aid policy pays for the treatment expenses, where the Hospital Cover payout can be used as you wish. This benefit can be availed as an additional payment, even if you have a Medical Aid.
What are the options available?
Hospital Cover policies often offer the following coverages:
- Daily Cash Benefit – Under Hospital Cover policy, you will receive a Daily Cash Benefit, for the number of days you are hospitalized due to an illness or an accident. Generally, for hospitalization due to illness the coverage starts only after the first few days (two or three days).
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) Benefit – Certain companies offer a larger payout, of up to 50% additional, than the Daily Cash Benefit each day you are admitted in the Intensive Care Unit.
- Accidental Death Benefit – The Company pays compensation in case of your Accidental Death under the Hospital Cover. This cover is not available for children.
- Accidental Disabality Benefit – If you suffer a Total and Permanent Disability due to an accident, the company compensates you, under the Hospital Cover.
- Maternity Benefit – Hospital Cover provides coverage for hospitalization for maternity, to the insured person, excluding the first few days, subject to certain restrictions.
- Cash Back Benefit – Hospital Cover policies provide a cash back to you, under certain plans.
- Dread Disease Benefit - Hospital Cover policies provide cover if you are detected with a dread disease and survives a specified survival period.
The claim procedure under Hospital Cover policy is very simple. You have to give a written notice to the company within 90 days. In the case of an accidental death claim, you have to submit the post-mortem report along with any supporting documents that the company ask for. For other claims, reports from the treating doctor and copy of the hospital account, to confirm the duration of stay in the hospital, are required.
There are various plans and options available under Hospital Cover insurance. We at Mister Compare help you choose the right Hospital Cover policy from a variety of available options. We also assist you in comparing and purchasing other insurance products such as Health Covers, Life Insurance, Legal Covers and Funeral Cover. Remember, More Options leads to Better Decisions.